Tags

, , , , , , , , , , ,

This is the old and broken lid switch I removed.

A little over a week ago, I did some laundry and, as I tend to do, completely forgot about the last load in the washer for a few hours. When I finally remembered it, I eagerly opened the lid of my Kenmore top-loading washer, ready to pull clothes out to transfer them to the dryer, only to discover all my clothes were still soaking in the rinse water. Upon further inspection of the machine, I noticed that the little cycle selection thinger was still in the middle of “Rinse” and would not proceed to “Spin”. Since the task of pulling all my soaking wet clothes from the water and then manually draining (scooping) the rinse water out of the wash basin seemed less than fun, I kept trying to find some setting that would let the water drain. I didn’t have much luck.

In my dire situation, I was forced to turn to the internet in an attempt to resolve my problem. This was a very good call because there is a ton of information on the internet about fixing Kenmore washers. I typed in things like “Kenmore washer won’t drain” and quickly found a plethora of pertinent results. After reading through many of the results, I felt fairly confident that there was an issue with the lid switch on the washer. I was also excited because it seemed like a problem that I could fix myself. I was able to confirm the lid switch was the issue, too, because I could manually push the lid switch down with a butter knife that has a tapered handle and I got the water to drain out. Yay!

The first thing I had to do was detach the back panel from the cabinet so that I could remove the cabinet.

According to the internet, the most difficult part of this whole repair was ensuring that you ordered the correct replacement lid switch for my washer model. I must say, this did take me about 10 minutes to make sure I really know which part to get. But, I finally determined the precise part number and then looked for it on Amazon and there it was! The best part? It was only $7.50 and was eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. I found something else I needed (so that I could qualify for free shipping) and ordered it.

In the meantime, I also took a good hard look at my laundry room/kitchen pantry and decided that since I was going to have to take a lot of stuff out of the room in order to get the washer cabinet out, I might as well do some reorganizing. So, I checked out Target.com because they have these snazzy storage cubicle shelves that I use EVERYWHERE in my home and I ordered some of those. I was now just waiting for the lid switch and the cubicle organizer to arrive and create a perfect storm of organizational fix-it fun!

Inching the cabinet away from the wash basin.

As it turns out, everything arrived on or before Friday afternoon. Because I’m a really exciting girl, I would have loved to plan my Friday night to fix the washer and organize my closet and then watch that guy walk on the tightrope across Niagara Falls, but I had made plans a while back to go watch some Muay Thai fights with a friend. The stars were in alignment, however, as my friend had to make a sudden and unexpected road trip to Tennessee and wouldn’t be back in time to go to the fights. The fix was on.

I began by putting together the new cubicle shelving storage system. The box held everything I needed but I’ll have you know that I used a screwdriver and a hammer to complete this task. I then pre-organized everything in my closet as I removed it to make way for the washer repair.

The naked basin.

Next, I called up two different Youtube videos that showed the step-by-step process for replacing the lid switch (this one and this one). I watched both of them the whole way through and thought that I had all the tools necessary. The main video I used is about 3 and a half minutes long but I, of course, had to pause it every 10 seconds or so to execute the task they demonstrated. I won’t give step-by-step details because they are all in the videos above but I am proud to say that I successfully completed the repair and my washer is now fully functional. In the process, I also discovered (or remembered) that I own a ratchet set. Ratchet sets are freakin’ cool. And, I learned that the hardest part of the repair was putting the cabinet back onto the washer assembly. It took a while to find the perfect fit.

Once the cabinet was freed, I could replace the switch.

After repairing and reassembling the washer, I cleaned the floor really well and then set about reorganizing. I moved all the stuff back in and fit it all into or onto the cubicle shelving and now it looks so nice and happy. And, then I had a mojito with my remaining Cavalier rum from Antigua and watched the tightrope guy (after making the announcement of the successful repair on Twitter – thanks for all the support!). I was in bed early enough to not be exhausted at Core Fusion Cardio class the next morning. What an awesome Friday night!

About these ads